You are using an older browser that doesn't support all web-standards. To see a not-messy well-working webpage, please update your browser. We recommend firefox, google chrome, or Internet Explorer 8+

The chapel in Viken

The chapel in Viken is situated so beautifully along the banks of the Kvarnbergsvattnet in Frostviken, one could believe God chose the spot for it Himself. Actually, this is more or less what happened.

At first a start was made with building a chapel in Kyrkbolandet, but at night everything that had been constructed during the day was being broken down again by people unknown. So it was decided to build the church somewhere else. They put a balk in the lake, and where it would be washed ashore, the church would be built. The balk was washed up at in Viken, in some inaccessible crevice, and they brought it a few hundred metres further to the west. The architect – Enar Persson from Jorm – did not have a building plan, but played it by ear.

The chapel in Viken was built from 1793 tot 1799, and therefore it is the oldest church in the area.

The church in Fatomakke

In 1884, the current church in Fatmomakke was consecrated. There have been a number of churches in Fatmomakke. In the early 1790s, a couple of Sami huts were used as a chapel and in 1830, the first church was built. It was located where the cemetery is today. Some of the church fittings like the pulpit and the church door were from the old church in Åsele. It was not unusual to ”recycle” church fittings in those days. The altarpiece was painted by a man called Meurk. He also painted a similar motif of Jesus in Dikanäs Church.

The altarcloth edging and most of the other textiles are works of tin wire handicraft, sewn by sisters Sanna and Syrena Wilks from the neighbouring village of Grundfors. Syrena and her husband Andreas were two of the people who reintroduced tin wire techniques into Sami handicraft. The newer textiles, also with tin wire handiwork, have been sewn by Carina Skott who is from the same village of Grundfors.

In the sacristy, there is an old copper cauldron which has a story of its own. It has been used as a coffee pot for church festivals, as a bucket for cleaning, and as a baptism font.

The church of Gäddede

When the chapel in Viken got too small for the steadily growing congregation, and the members from the southern villages didn't want to make the long walk to Sunday Mass any more, a church was built in Gäddede.

It is unknown when exactly the construction was started, but the first priest in Gäddede, Magnus Selberg, started preaching in 1841

In 1933-34 and in 1974 the church was renovated.

The chapel of Ankarede

In the Sami meetingplace Ankarede there is a white wooden chapel – one of the best known churches in the region. It was built in 1896, and in 1953-54 it was renovated.

You can obtain the key in Café Ankarede, next to the chapel.

The chapel in Högland

Already in the year 1860, as the Högland locals tell, the location of the present chapel was found by two hikers from Långsele – Erik Johansson and reverend Carl Gustaf Hammar.

Högland Kapelle

However, the church would actually be built only several decades later. First, in 1904, a school was built and was used for both education and church services. But after a new school was built in 1934, people recalled the vision of reverend Hammar; and in five years, the old school building was inaugurated as the new chapel.

In 1940 the chapel got an altar and a pulpit – partly made with the remainders of the old church in Dorotea that burned down in 1932. In 1941, the bell tower was finished and two bells were hung inside. In 1954-55 the chapel was reconstructed.

The church in Dorotea

The church in the most southern municipality of Lappland sits on the Kullerbalken hill. The original wooden church, dating from 1799, burned down completely in 1932. Its successor was inaugurated in 1934 and thoroughly refurbished in 1984.

Doroteas Kirche

In the church there are sculptures by the famous artist Carl Milles. His brother, Everet Milles designed the new church.

Make sure to take a look at the small chapel in the graveyard next to the church. There you will find the group of life-sized sculptures "the Last Supper", made by Björn Martinius.

Saxnäs Kyrka

Allhelgonahelgen 1959 invigde dåvarande biskopen Ivar Hylander Saxnäs kyrka, kyrkogården och gravkapellet som är uppfört av skiffersten från bygden. Trärelifen är skuren i fura av Erik Eriksson, en bygdens son från byn Lövberg. Han har kallat den för Jesu sjöpredikan och är en hyllning till sin mor som var barnmorska här uppe på den tiden då det inte fanns några vägar och närmaste läkare fanns i Åsele nästan 20 mil bort.

The first weekend in November in 1959, (All Saints’ Day festival), Bishop Ivar Hylander consecrated Saxnäs Church, the graveyard and the mortuary chapel which was built out of local slate stone.

The wooden relief is made out of pine wood by Erik Eriksson, a local man from the village of Lövberg. He called it “Jesus’s sermon on the lake” and he made it in honour of his mother who was a midwife up here in the mountains in the days when there were no roads and the nearest doctor was in Åsele, almost 200 km away.

The altar composition with six handmade candlesticks and a cross made out of tin were made and donated to the church by the first deacon in Saxnäs, Rickard Rodling.

The chapel of Sjoutnäset

In 1919 the beautiful wooden chapel with its 225 seats was inaugurated at the banks of the Storsjouten lake. As there is no heating in the church, the 'Sjoutnäs-mass' is celebrated only once in summer. This romantic chapel, on the road from Lidsjöberg to Härbergsdalen, is a favourite place for weddings also.

Sjoutnäset Kapelle

When the chapel is closed, you can get the key from the farm across the road – and there you can buy some very good goat cheese as well.

The church in Vilhelmina

The church was built in the neoclassical style and was completed at the start of the 1840s. The architect was Axel Almfelt. When the church was built, every village in the parish had to contribute by doing a certain number of days’ work and providing a certain amount of building materials. For example, the village of Nästansjö donated the wrought railing, made of bog iron ore, at the main entrance. The altarpiece, a wooden relief, was made by the artist Gunnar To rhamn. The original altarpiece, painted by Marcus Blomqvist from Åsele, is still hanging behind the present one. The pulpit was also painted by Blomqvist.

Vilhelmina Kirche© Erika Lorde

Inside the church, you can see at least three different types of leather used for the décor. On the altar-rails, you can see reindeer skin, sheepskin was used for the doors at the southern entrance hall, while the inner doors at the main entrance have some bearskin. The wrought-iron pelican at the top of the southern entrance hall symbolizes self- sacrifice.

Vilhelmina Kirche

The church in Strömsund

When the small – just 12 by 7 metres – medieval church in Strömsund didn't have enough seats for all church members, it was decided in 1816 that a new, larger church would be built. The construction of this new church started sometime around 1823.

Strömsund Kirche

However, because of a series of poor harvests and other problems the construction was abandoned for many years. Only in 1845, people began to work on the church again. This was under the management of the new church architect F. A. Lidstein from Stockholm, who had made the congregation the best offer. He also changed the original plan of Simon Geting.

In 1847 the church was officially inaugurated, and in 1939 a limestone wall was built around it. A larger renovation of the church took place in 1928.

Alanäset

Alanäset Alanäset
top of pagepage uppage downbottom of page
printinfo